BTEC Tech Award in Travel & Tourism
Students will follow the Edexcel Tech Award in Travel and Tourism course. They will begin the course in Year 9 and will complete 3 Components/units by the end of Year 11.
The course is designed to provide Level 1/2 learners with:
- A knowledge and understanding of the travel and tourism industry.
- Skills such as research, specifically in relation to destinations and customer needs.
- Reflective practice
- The ability to apply knowledge and understanding of travel and tourism to a variety of contexts.
Edexcel Level 1/2
The course is equivalent to 1 GCSE qualification during which students will be given the opportunity to develop a range of skills gaining access to a range of career and further education opportunities.
- Students will develop and apply their knowledge and understanding of travel and tourism, including trends and customer requirements.
- They will develop an understanding of travel and tourism organisations, destination features, types of visitors, travel, and accommodation.
- They will analyse the factors influencing travel and tourism and how organisations respond to these through application of their knowledge and understanding to specific contexts.
Course Content-Three Components
Component 1: Explore-Travel and Tourism Organisations and Destinations (Level 1/2).
Component 2: Develop-Influences on Global Travel and Tourism (Level 1/2).
Component 3: Apply-Customer Needs in Travel and Tourism (Level 1/2).
Component 1- Examine the types and aims of organisations, including different travel destinations.
Assessment: Internally assessed assignments Weighting: 30% of total course.
Component 2- Investigate global travel and tourism and its impact on global destinations.
Assessment: Externally assessed, written paper that requires learners to apply their knowledge and understanding.
Weighting: 40% of total course. (70 Marks)
Component 3- Aim: Understand how organisations use market research within the travel and tourism industry.
Assessment: Internally assessed synoptic assignments.
Weighting: 30% of total course.
The course aims to give learners the opportunity to progress to higher qualifications such as the Edexcel BTEC Level 3 Nationals in Travel & Tourism, A-levels or Apprenticeship courses.