The Academy aspires to provide a curriculum which aims to meet the needs of all students at all Key Stages and allows progression to valuable qualifications that support higher education and employment.
At Key Stage 3 the Academy follows the statutory requirements of the DfE and students study a full range of subjects over the two years. This offers an opportunity for students to experience a full range of subjects and develop their understanding for future choices.
Year 8 Options and Key Stage 4
Key Stage 4 begins in Year 9. In year 8 students will choose from a full range of optional subjects which they will study alongside the compulsory English, Maths, Science, History or Geography, Physical Education and PDP.
Key Stage 5 (Sixth Form)
At Key Stage 5 subjects are offered which allow students to meet their potential and progress to higher education or employment. Subjects offered include traditional A Levels and Level 3 vocational subjects, both of which may be studied alongside each other.
The Academy believes that homework is a vital part of all students’ learning and is essential for all students. It is not optional and is set to:
- Encourage students to take responsibility for organising their own work.
- Support development of skills required for independent learning and encourage good study habits.
- Consolidate, reinforce and extend knowledge and understanding developed in the classroom.
- Enable students to meet the demands of coursework and prepare them for examinations.
- Catch up on any learning lost due to absences for example due to COVID-19 Lockdowns, isolations or illness.