TEACHER OF SCIENCE (PERMANENT)
Relocation allowance will be considered.
Start date for permanent role from 1st September or as soon as possible
We are seeking to appoint an excellent classroom practitioner who is an enthusiastic, innovative and engaging teacher of Science to join a dynamic and expanding faculty. The faculty offers a wide programme of options at Key Stage 4 and 5 including; AQA Trilogy Combined Science, AQA Separate Sciences a popular option choice for approx. 60-70 students each year, BTEC Level 3 Science and the three separate A Levels. The Science Faculty has a large team of experienced teachers and middle leaders to offer a wealth of support and professional advice and also Teaching Assistants and technicians to support the delivery of the curriculum. This is an expanding faculty with excellent opportunities for personal growth and leadership development opportunities both within and beyond the faculty.
Most of our students remain with us into the Sixth form, including those who study A Levels in Biology, Chemistry and Physics as well as BTEC in Science and we are aiming to further develop Post 16 provision and considering introducing some T levels so there will be excellent opportunities to contribute to Post 16 expansion so offering a lot of potential to teach A Level/Post 16. We would welcome applications from teachers early in their careers through to experienced staff. *We would also welcome applications from Initial Teacher Trainees who are completing your second placements. For the right candidate or PGCE students we would consider appointing before the end of the summer term.
*A substantial recruitment payment may be awarded for the successful candidate in line with the Academy’s Pay Policy. In addition, we would consider a re-location package of up to £5,000 for a candidate who may have to re-locate.
Our last Ofsted inspection in we were judged the Academy to be good in all categories and for overall effectiveness with some excellent feedback across all subjects and our Pastoral Care.
Joseph Leckie Academy is a vibrant, exciting and innovative mixed 11-18 Converter Academy with an overall positive progress score every year since 2017 and within the top 3 non-selective schools in Walsall every year since 2017. With our excellent results and being graded as “Good” across all areas by Ofsted (October 2021) and our continual desire and drive to continue moving forward, this is an exciting time for you to join our team. Since 2017, the Academy has remained as one of the top non-selective secondary school for progress in Walsall based on validated results and is one of the highest performing schools in the region for student progress.
Our last Ofsted inspection in we were judged the Academy to be good in all categories and for overall effectiveness with some excellent feedback across all subjects and our Pastoral Care as can be seen below in some of their comments:
“We pride ourselves on our high expectations of all learners. This creates a calm learning environment where teachers can teach and students can learn as was clearly supported by the feedback from Ofsted. We offer a highly supportive environment and are committed to ensuring outstanding teaching, behaviour, progress and achievement. Staff are proud to work in our Academy.”
Ofsted further commented that: “Pupils are proud of their school. Their attendance and punctuality are good. Pupils are safe. The school is calm and purposeful, and disruption to learning is rare. Few pupils underachieve and most flourish. Pupils of all abilities are enthusiastic learners who enjoy their learning.”
“We have an ambitious curriculum, mapped in detail and a curriculum that is broad and deep, including the two year Key Stage 3. Students study a wide range of subjects at Key Stage 4 and there are plans to develop this further to support their next stage in education or employment and training. Leaders know what knowledge students should be taught and have sequenced learning well so students learn content in the right order and teachers and support staff work very well to and go the extra mile to support and improve students learning. Mistakes are spotted and modified through frequent assessment of learning. Inspectors commented on the very effective use of support staff both faculty and SEND staff to support students learning, including developing literacy skills and our SEND students flourish. All students are well prepared to go on to higher education or employment and training.”
We are an expanding Academy with numbers growing, now well over 1500 and continuing to be over- subscribed at Key stage 3 and in our large Sixth form and so this is an ideal opportunity and an exciting time for you to join our team as a permanent member as we continue to expand and grow and there will excellent opportunities for you and this role to grow and develop further.
This is a fantastic opportunity for an ambitious candidate to join our dynamic team at the forefront of change and to make a real difference to our drive to continue to raise standards of education in the Academy. If you believe that you have the skills and abilities to take on this role, we would love to hear from you.
Please do not hesitate to contact us for more information and a tour around the Science Faculty and Academy. Please liaise with Mrs Richards to arrange this.
We can offer you: -
- Friendly, caring and supportive staff across the Academy – staff stay here for a number of years and say it is a great place to work and ex-students come back to work in the Academy so please come along and visit us find out what they say…
- A high focus on staff well-being with staff social events, staff swimming and badminton, well-being counsellor, well-being co-ordinator for staff, monthly staff breakfasts, employee assistance programme and much more…
- Excellent support and professional development opportunities including opportunities to undertake our own in-house CPD programmes as well as external providers such as National Professional Qualifications at different levels as you progress towards leadership roles.
- A well established and supportive Induction programme for all staff at all levels including ECT’s.
- A well-established, experienced and dedicated team of staff in the Science faculty.
- Opportunities for outreach work and the chance to trial new ideas and approaches.
- A highly dedicated and committed Pastoral team at all levels.
- A well-established, experienced and dedicated Science Faculty with several key posts and support from a range of staff to support staff at all levels.
- Excellent resources, programs and technology to support learning in Science labs.
- A large and expanding Academy at the forefront of change and growth, with high standards and an ambitious desire to better the lives of our students and impact further on our wider community.
- You may be able to claim a levelling up premium payment (subject to your date of ITT qualification and timetable) for staff teaching physics or chemistry (see Levelling up premium payments for teachers – GOV.UK for more details).
- *A substantial recruitment payment may be awarded for the successful candidate in line with the Academy’s Pay Policy.
- In addition, we would consider a re-location package of up to £5,000 for a candidate who may have to re-locate.
You will have/show:
- Practical skills and expertise as outlined in the Job description
- A passion and vision for working with students in their personal, social and emotional needs as well as their academic development
- The ability to motivate and inspire students
- Experience of delivering GCSE Combined Science and preferably also Single Science is essential and contributing particularly in Chemistry, Biology and/or Physics.
- The ability to stimulate curiosity, interest and enjoyment in learning
- Confidence in dealing with students across different age ranges particularly Key Stage 3 and 4
- Creative skills and a professional approach
- High expectations of students
- The determination to support in raising student achievement within the classroom
- The passion to enrich the lives of our students and contribute to the development of Cultural Capital to enhance the life opportunities for our students
- Engagement in professional development opportunities
- Team skills
- Outstanding inter-personal and communication skills with students, colleagues and parents
- A clear understanding of the importance of Safeguarding.
Please see the attached job description and person specification and address this in your letter and address the question below:
Explain how your experience, skills and qualities to date have prepared you for this role.
Joseph Leckie Academy is an equal opportunities employer and fully committed to promoting and safeguarding the welfare of students and candidates will be required to undergo an enhanced DBS check.
Closing date for applications: Thursday 29th February 2024 at midday
Please send completed applications to Mrs S Richards. firstname.lastname@example.org
Joseph Leckie Academy is committed to promoting and safeguarding the welfare of students and candidates will be required to undergo an enhanced DBS check.